The company generates revenue from its credit card processing, Wave Payroll, and bookkeeping services and uses this revenue to keep the software completely free. Wave is cloud-based https://www.bookstime.com/ software that boasts a solid set of accounting features suitable for most small businesses. These features are especially appealing when you consider that Wave is absolutely free.
- With its range of accounting features, it provides a comprehensive solution for managing finances efficiently.
- Then answer questions from a drop-down menu about the direction you want to concentrate on—invoicing, accounting or payroll—and you are directed to link financial accounts.
- With Wave, you have access to expense tracking, bank reconciliation, and reporting to help you manage your finances.
- Both programs feature invoicing, banking, and accounting capabilities, but Wave charges fees for accepting credit card and bank payments from customers.
- Finally, the last drawback you may want to consider is Wave’s lack of advanced accounting features.
- The Add a Product or Service option (shown below) is where you would enter any products or services.
Securing a category score of 7/10, Wave’s accounts payable features are well above average. Users can use the tool to track bills and expenses, record payments in multiple currencies, and scan bills. However, unlike QuickBooks and Zoho Books, businesses using the software can’t set recurring bills or create purchase orders, making it harder for them to manage finances automatically.
Wave Accounting: Fast Facts
Regarding running payroll, both solutions offer add-on modules that incur an additional monthly fee. Finally, Wave connects to H&R Block, while QuickBooks connects to TurboTax. Wave Accounting is a completely free accounting solution used by freelancers and small-business owners across North America.
- Wave discontinued its integration with PayPal in 2020 — however, that doesn’t mean Wave doesn’t work with PayPal.
- Customer statements are simple—a choice of outstanding invoices or account activity generated one at a time.
- Wave’s sales reports even let users view paid and unpaid income per customer, which separates its reporting features from the competition.
- NerdWallet’s accounting software ratings favor products that are easy to use, reasonably priced, have a robust feature set and can grow with your business.
- What’s more, Wave doesn’t let users create cash flow projections, or any budget forecasting tools at that, making the software less suited to larger businesses that require an advanced overview of their finances.
All that’s needed to set up these connections is your login credentials from your online accounts and occasionally answers to additional security questions, depending on the financial institution. Once Plaid has verified your identity, your transactions flow into Wave in simple registers that display each entry’s date, description, account, category, and amount, with an Action column at the end of the row. Once you’ve started populating Wave with your company’s data, for example, the app’s dashboard is quite useful. You have to scroll a bit to see everything, but you’ll get a great overview of your finances with links to deeper details. There are tables of invoices payable to you, bills you owe, and income/expense/net income. There are also links to common tasks, like adding a customer and accepting credit cards.
What Is Melio? Features, Pros, Cons & More
Therefore, although there is only one version of the Wave accounting software, the add-ons (free and paid) that you’ll have to choose from will allow you to tailor your software to your business’s specific needs. Although these add-ons are not free, they are pay as you go, meaning their cost will be based on how much you use them. Therefore, if you want access to these additional functions, you don’t have to worry about paying an unnecessary wave invoicing login fee when you’re not actually using them. With this add-on, therefore, you have an easy, free way to manage paper receipts, without needing to actually sort through paper and manually enter the information into your accounting software. We’ll explore everything Wave accounting has to offer, as well as discuss top alternatives—so that you have all of the information you need to find the best accounting software for your small business.
Wave product support is available by submitting a support request from the Wave website. For new Wave users, chat support is available for 60 days after purchase to help with any product setup issues. After the 60 days, chat support is only available for Payments and Payroll customers.
Wave Accounting cons
If you’re a small business owner or freelancer looking for a simple and cost-effective accounting solution, Wave Accounting could be the perfect fit. Yes, Wave provides customer support through email and their online help center. While they don’t offer phone support, their team is responsive and ready to assist with any questions or concerns you may have. Wave Accounting also provides helpful resources, such as video tutorials and a knowledge base, to assist users in navigating through the setup process. The dashboard is well-organized and clutter-free, with separate tabs for sales, purchases, accounting, banking, payroll, and reports. The free software allows for double-entry accounting and complies with accounting standards.